Monday, February 23, 2009

I Am Not Yours


I am not yours, not lost in you,
Not lost, although I long to be
Lost as a candle lit at noon,
Lost as a snowflake in the sea.

You love me, and I find you still
A spirit beautiful and bright,
Yet I am I, who long to be
Lost as a light is lost in light.

Oh plunge me deep in love--put out
My senses, leave me deaf and blind,
Swept by the tempest of your love,
A taper in a rushing wind.

Sara Teasdale

Photo found at:
http://moejo.deviantart.com/art/Daylight-42814780

2 comments:

  1. Wow. That poem packed a serious punch. I almost wanted to add the line from the end of Blade Runner in the first stanza, ending it with "Lost as teardrops in the rain".
    "Lost as light is lost in light"... Amazingly evocative words. Good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have always loved this poem. The images are just fabulous and they speak to your deepest parts. I love that line as well and the image of "lost as a snowflake in the sea.

    ReplyDelete