Thursday, December 31, 2009

Patti Smith, Where Have you Been?


How has Patti Smith escaped me all these years? I suppose her brand of genius in song and poetry was well before my own generation, not to mention, I've never been a punk rock fan. But last night I watched a brilliant documentary on PBS, Patti Smith: Dream of Life. I enjoyed her so much, such a quirky and bold woman. Her writing is breathtaking and her performances so full of energy and truth. I found myself slightly confused yet completely captured by her gender-bending appearance-- the unimposing thin frame and wiry hair. She is a woman for all times, for all generations. Thank you, Ms. Smith, for your contribution to our world and thank you, PBS, for introducing this amazing woman to me. Great documentary, check it out at http://www.pbs.org/pov/pattismith/.

1 comment:

  1. Melissa, I too always thought PS was a very unique woman, along with Grace Slick. Thank you for sharing. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete